Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Loving v. Virginia

I'm back as a 2L now, my second year of law school, and I'm taking some very interesting classes this year. One of the most interesting will be Bioethics. It is a seminar with one of my favorite professors, and he has basically made this class one of the most controversial and well discussed classes at Whittier Law. Another class that I really like is Family Law. Taught by another one of my favorite professors, Deborah Forman, she also raises controversial topics such as polygamy, interracial marriages, and homosexual marriages into the family atmosphere.

This case, Loving v. Virginia, is one of the first cases we read in both Bioethics and Family Law. It is one of the leading cases that changed the Constitution on interracial marriages and is one of the most inspiring cases I've read as of yet.

To think that we take interracial marriages so much for granted now is insane, since this case took place only 40 years ago. One of the main reasons the Constitution banned interracial marriages was to "preserve the racial integrity of its citizens and to prevent the corruption of blood." It seems so absurd to read that now, but the scariest part is that in the epilogue of one of my books, we read that Alabama did not get rid of this statute until November of 2000. Y2K. Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails