Monday, September 01, 2008

Linda Hirshman, Homeward Bound

I just read this article in my Family Law Supplement.

“Choice feminism” claims that staying home with the kids is just one more feminist option. Funny that most men rarely make the same “choice.” Exactly what kind of choice is that?

It's very interesting because she talks down on women that have expensive degrees and are extremely well educated...who have given it all up to have children and care for them.

It really stirred me because I vastly agree with the women that actually did it and admire them...especially since I plan on being one myself. Don't get my wrong. I'm all for being the power couple, but when I start having kids, and my husband is able to care for the family financially, I WANT to put my career aside, and focus on my family. Who is to say that I'm loosing out when I can see my kids grow and travel with them around the world while another woman is slaving away in a corporate office trying to meet the next deposition deadline? Maybe, just maybe, I might be happier.

The women that she interviews are all highly educated, and now are basically moms that educate their children very well, so in my mind, I don't understand how this is bad for the female gender. How is that degenerate for the female race, when she could be raising the next woman president? She puts them down, and says that they are destroying what feminism has accomplished in the work force, and that these women are rapidly becoming "untouchables."

I LOVE this quote that an Ivy Leager mom and wife wrote: "he's the CEO and I'm the CFO. He sees to it that the money rolls in and I decide how to spend it." That's my motto. =)

Linda Hirshman, Homeward Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails