Sunday, October 31, 2010

brasov, romania

We spent two nights in Brasov eating and taking pictures. Just a small fun town by Bran castle with an old square and pretty buildings. Again, the fall colors everywhere. This awesome car was on the way up to the Brasov sign. I thought it was the coolest car ever.





zara sweater, topshop black pants/tights, H&M neck fur, H&M booties





Brasov is smaller than Bucharest, and a fantastic old town. Reiner talked about the Black Church in the square, but we only saw the outside façade the night before. Kat and I went inside the next day and I thought it was a beautiful and simple church. The church is called something else, but everyone refers to it as the Black Church after it endured a fire in the early 20s, which covered it in soot. It’s more grey now, with bullet holes still marking parts of its history on the outside, and the most fantastic organ on the inside. I wasn’t allowed to take pictures, but the organ inside the church is 4000 pipes, all in working order, and I wished it was Sunday so I could attend mass to hear it. The pews in the church all face the alter, but the back rest is engineered to reverse so that the laity can turn around and face the organ in the back during concert times. How ingenious is that????

I’ve also developed an addiction this past week to this Hungarian pastry. It’s a gigantic pastry, about a foot in length, hollow on the inside, and caramelized on the outside. The bakers will sprinkle powdered sugar, nuts, or whatever flavor you ask for a measly 10 lei [$3 US]. I bought one with caramelized sugar, took it home and munched on it all night. I left a large chunk in the kitchen but it disappeared by morning. I hope someone appreciated it just as much as I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails