Saturday, January 08, 2011

why 'asian' mothers are superior

 mom and i when i was 2 years old
I love this essay on Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior. It's been talked about on a regular basis among my friends, cousins, and family...but it's nice to hear it expressed in an article. Amy Chua talks about a way of life in raising children from immigrant families, the harsh contrast to the free flowing western way of raising children. It's a very interesting article, and hits close to home. I myself am a child of an "Chinese" mom. My mother has followed this list to the tee. No sleepovers, no playdates, no boyfriends. She has drilled/spanked/taught me to speak/maintain the Vietnamese language/culture, among other things, explaining only that I will understand when I'm older. I am forever thankful for that

Amy Chua is a professor at Yale Law School and author of "Day of Empire" and "World on Fire: How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability." This essay is excerpted from "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.
 
mom and i was i was 5 years old
"Western parents are concerned about their children's psyches. [Asian] parents aren't. They assume strength, not fragility, and as a result they behave very differently."
mom and i when i was 25 years old...both wearing custom designed ao dai

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that first picture of your mom totally looks like you now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails